Reflections of a Mom's Life

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Harrison's FIRST day of school!



Harrison woke up SO excited this morning for his first day of school! He got himself dressed and ready for school with such anticipation! I was so excited for him. He ate his breakfast, had time to watch Curious George, and then we were out the door for a quick picture and then off to school! :) On our way to school, I told him that everyday we would pray for his day before he goes into class. He wanted to pray right then and there and Harrison had the sweetest things to say in his prayer about Jesus watching out for him, that he would make friends, and that Mommy, Daddy, and Jackson wouldn't miss him too much. I was so proud of my little boy in that moment! He really wanted Jesus to bless his day!
We walked into his classroom and Mrs. Lee was waiting for him with a GREAT BIG smile on her face. She was as friendly as could be and looked like she was going to be a fabulous teacher! He was grinning from ear to ear. I'm sure he'll have a crush on her in no time. He got straight to work putting his stuff in his cubbie and then off to help work a puzzle with a new pal. Jackson tried to pull out a few Lego's while I filled out some paperwork. It was clear that he would really like to stay at school too! :) I snapped a quick picture of Harrison and his Kindergarten teacher and then Jackson and I walked to the door. Harrison came running up to us and gave us big hugs and said goodbye as happy as ever. Just what a mom wants, to see him comfortable and excited to stay! I was thrilled! I felt my eyes water as he walked back to his teacher and we walked away but it was out of joy! I was so proud of my boy and so excited for the new experiences he is about to encounter! These are precious times!
I headed straight to the office to sign up for the PTA. I volunteered for the Spring Carnival and to be a Library Helper. I want to make sure those people know who Harrison's mom is and that they know I'll be popping in quite regularly! :)
I'm off to get my boy...I can't wait to hear all that he's been up to! Thank you all for your comments, prayers, and encouragement. I am so blessed to have my friends/family and have all of you love my boy enough to care about his first day of school! You guys are the best and I don't know what I would do without each and every one of you!!!!

15 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like the first day of school started out great!! What a sweet boy Harrison is and I know that he will love school so much. What a wonderful adventure he has begun!!

Anonymous said...

Beth, Harrison looks so grown up in his pictures...it brought back such fond memories of when you started school...You loved everything except nap time. It is so much easier on a mom when they go cheerfully...Grace held on for dear life and that was HARD! I am sure Jackson missed his brother. It will be nice for you to have some "Little J" time and then he will eagerly wait for Harrison's return home each day!
Thanks for putting pictures up so soon so we can enjoy with you!!!
Love, Mom

Heather J said...

Cheers for Harrison's successful 1st day!! I'm glad he knows what the Lord can do for him thru prayer!!! Wow - here's to many more "1st"s!!!

Heather said...

I cant believe he is in Kindergarten already..and that he started school so early. My kids dont start till the 27th of August! I had tears in my eyes when I read your night before kindergarten post...It brought back so many memories that really werent that long ago. It is a scary yet exciting thing to see your kids grow up. I'll have to share with you Jaxon's first day of school story some time...it was a hoot!

Unknown said...

Beth, I'm excited with you. Harrison looks like such a little man with a great haircut. I'm sure he will have a crush on his teacher. So how did Jackson do without his big brother today?

Lianne

Vonda said...

Oh Beth, I am teary eyed just reading about how Harrison prayed about his 1st day of school. How awesome that he has parents that are teaching him to pray about everything and that he knows God will help him. What a blessing! It seems like yesterday that his Daddy went off to school for the 1st time. Harrison looks so much like Anthony when he was that age!!! Give Harrison a big hug from Aunt Vonda and tell him I'm so proud of him. Love -V

Natalie said...

What a big day!!!! They get so big so fast. I am so happy that it was successful....hugs to your BIG boy!

Katy said...

I can't wait to hear what he thought about everything! His class and his teacher look like so much fun. I bet he's going to be upset that he doesn't get to go back until Monday!!! Doesn't it make you feel so much better that he was SO excited to be there!!! You have done a great job with him - he is growing up into such a sweet boy! (And by the way, his Non-Mamaw haircut is VERY cute!) You'll remember this day forever -and he probably will too! What fun! I love you BOTH!

Katie B said...

What a big boy! Thanks for sharing such a big day in the life of your family.

Jessica said...

Harrison, I am so proud of you. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first day of school. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Beth, I'm proud of you too. Letting go is never easy. It seems like you did wonderfully. His teacher looks so sweet.
It looks like the new camera works well. I think the pictures are more clear than before.
We love you all!
Jessica

Courtney said...

Hi Beth! Katy's friend, Courtney, here. I love your sweet blog...and family. First of all, I can't believe you're starting school on Aug 1!(we don't start til Sept 4!) Anyways, I sent my oldest to kindergarten last year..and survived it..but i have to tell you - there was NEVER a day that i didn't have a lump in my throat as i dropped her off. i thought it would wear off/go away, but it never did. i'm beginning to think that it never will! not that it's not good for them and us and their younger siblings, it's just hard on us moms! brings back so many memories...

Bridgette said...

And it seemed like just yesterday you were trying to go bowling to put yourself into labor!!:) I can't believe how grown up he is! I love that side picture; " c'mon Jackson let's be dogs!!" I seriously LOVE that.

Linda Williams said...

I KNOW that he was the most handsome little boy in Kindergarten! What a sweet picture and I loved the one of him turning his back so we could see his backpack and little Jackson was also turning his back the same way. Jackson will be forever trying to be just like his big brother. How thankful we are for those little fellas!

Love,
Mimi and Papa

We are in Seattle and we just had to get a hotel that had a computer so we could check the blog and see our little one on the first day of school. Are we addicted or not!

dandsratz said...

What a grand day, for sure!! I'm so thrilled to read it went so great!!! Kiss to you all!

Anonymous said...

i can't believe harrison is already in school...before you know it jackson will be in school too!!!

j