Reflections of a Mom's Life

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Scared or scarred for life

I have to tell you about poor little Jackson. Jackson is not usually clingy or scared by much. He loves animals and will pet anything. He is SO friendly and wants to talk to everybody...He get's that from his Daddy and his Mimi :). Whenever we are in the store or out running errands he says HI to EVERYONE. ...over, and over, and over until I feel like I should make him stop because these kind people are going to get tired of saying HI back...over, and over, and over.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I let Harrison attend VBS at my friend Megan's church. The church is only a few minutes away so Jackson and I would take Harrison in and go and pick him up after it was over. The theme of the week was "Game Day". It was centered around sports, which Harrison LOVED, there was a great atmosphere and everyone was so energetic, the place was rockin' and it was exciting. One of the people that made things so exciting was the "Spirit Man". This guy, the youth pastor of their church, was dressed up like your typical CRAZY fan at a major sporting event. You know, the one that always get some TV face time...silver pom-pom on his head for hair, face painted half red and half blue, pumped up and screaming like a mad man kind of guy.
(I think you're starting to get the picture)

Well, mid week, we dropped Harrison off at his class (the VBS was held at night so it's about 6pm). As he was being checked in, "Spirit Man" comes bolting out of the classroom door like the mad man he was, stoops down to Harrison and screams "GIVE ME A HIGH FIVE". Harrison was NOT thrilled! He was fine with "Spirit Man" until he tried to get all up-close-and-personal. Harrison ducked behind me and hid. I was so concerned about him that I completely forgot that Jackson was holding my hand on the other side. After I convinced Harrison to enter his class, I turned to leave and Jackson had the most awful look of terror plastered all over his face. He was completely speechless and crouched down in fear, hands and arms stiff out in front as if to keep anyone from touching him. I felt terrible. I quickly picked him up and hugged him. As we walked out to leave, he held on so tight, gripping me with his nails, clearly never wanting to let go. He had been scared to death! He talked and wimpered about it for the rest of the night. Needless to say, going to pick up and drop off Harrison for the rest of the week was an ordeal for little Jackson. However, we made it through without any more up-close-and-personal interactions with the "Spirit Man". Thank the Lord!

Jackson talked about "the boy" scaring him in the car for at least a week after that VBS. Poor little guy! Well, I must sadly report Jackson still isn't over it! Every morning since then, when we walk in to get him from his crib he sits up, looks at us, and says "ah seep, dat boy gare me". My intrepetation of that is "I was sleeping and the boy scared me!" I think he is dreaming about it! I keep telling him "the boy" is gone and will NEVER bother him again but he isn't convinced! I hate to think my poor little guy is dreaming about the "Spirit Man"! It can't be too bad, he's not waking up in the middle of the night but I still feel awful about it! Hopefully it's just a habit now, something he likes to say first thing in the morning to get mommy's attention. :) Harrison has "tried" to help by telling Jackson, in a not so nice tone, "You, DON'T need to worry about 'that boy', HE is FUNNY!" He has abviously forgotten his own not-so-funny experience with the
"Spirit Man."

Needless to say, the "Spirit Man" man made a BIG impression on Jackson and I just HOPE he won't be scarred for life! Surely not, he's only 2 right?

3 comments:

Katy said...

Poor Jackson!!! That is hilarious!!! These crazy mascots have a way of doing that to people though! I think it's a legitimate phobia!!! :) I guess you shouldn't take him to Disney quite yet!!

Anonymous said...

Okay I would have been scared of the "Spirit Man" too. Give Jackson a big hug from his Aunt Vonda and tell him that we'll never let another Spirit man scare him again. Love y'all!
Vonda

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH, the guilt!! I feel so bad! Poor Jackson!! Megan